Times - 8:00 am - 16:50 pm Reference#: 112749-hle
About the VGH Burns, Trauma and High Acuity units
The Burns, Trauma and High Acuity units are dedicated to patients requiring a high level of care, including frequent monitoring and interventions. The units support those patients that have suffered burns, traumas and focuses on the specific needs of a high-risk population.
This is what you signed up for: to use your knowledge and skills as part of an integrated health care delivery team to provide care to patients who really do need you help and need it right away.
The Patient Populations
In the Burns, Trauma and High Acuity Units, you will support diverse patients which include:
- Patients with Acute Burns
- Patients with multi trauma, including multiple fractures
- Patients having had plastic surgery
- Patients who are in the transitional step between critical care and the acute care units
The Nature of your Work
You will provide physiotherapy services to enable clients to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes by:
- Performing assessments on client’s physical status, functional abilities and needs and goals;
- Establishing a physiotherapy diagnosis and prognosis, developing and implementing an intervention strategy, evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention, and communicating with the client/family and health care team members;
- The nature of your support/assistance/treatment to your clients in the Burns, Trauma and High Acuity could include:
- Burn management including burn showers, scar management, protective dressings, restorative and maintenance of Range exercises
- Respiratory Physiotherapy
- Discharge planning
- Mobilizing and ambulating Complex patients
- Personalized exercise prescription
- Gait Aid Prescription
- Contributing to the organization and delivery of physiotherapy services, and participating in departmental/program quality assurance initiatives, meetings, research, and education.
All Physiotherapists at VCH practice in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia (CPTBC) as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Education & Experience
- Current full registration with the College of Physical Therapists of BC (CPTBC).
- Eligibility for membership in the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia (PABC).