Time: 8:00 am - 16:50 pm Reference#: 112768-hle
About the VGH Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
As a physiotherapist in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at VGH, you will be working on a 30 bed unit in the trauma centre of the province where very ill or injured patients receive specialized care 24-hours a day.
The ICU health care team which includes doctors, nurses, patient care aides, respiratory therapists, physiotherapists, research coordinators, pharmacists, dietitians, social workers, a chaplain and an occupational therapist all work together to care for your family member. This is an exceptional opportunity for a physiotherapist to join a collaborative environment and have a great learning experience.
This is what you signed up for: to use your knowledge and skills as part of an integrated health care delivery team to help patients when they really need it….which is right away.
The Patient Population
As a Physiotherapist in VGH's Intensive Care Unit, you will support a diverse patient population, including:
- Intubated patients who require cardiorespiratory assessment and treatment
- Patients with Orthopedic, Medical, Surgical and Neurological insults
- Early mobilisation in a very acute care setting
The Nature of your Work
You will provide physiotherapy services to enable clients to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes by:
- Performing assessments on client’s physical status, functional abilities and needs and goals;
- Establishing a physiotherapy diagnosis and prognosis, developing and implementing an intervention strategy, evaluating the effectiveness of the intervention, and communicating with the client/family and health care team members;
- The nature of your support/assistance/treatment to your clients could include:
- Advanced cardiorespiratory care
- Mobilisation and early rehabilitation
- Exercise prescription
- Neurological assessments and treatments
- Orthopedic assessments and treatments
- Contributing to the organization and delivery of physiotherapy services, and participating in departmental/program quality assurance initiatives, meetings, research, and education.
All Physiotherapists at VCH practice in accordance with the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia (CPTBC) as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of Vancouver Coastal Health.
Education & Experience
- Current full registration with the College of Physical Therapists of BC (CPTBC).
- Eligibility for membership in the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia (PABC).