A position is available ASAP through January 31, 2021 with flexible hours / up to 30 hours / week to fill leave of incumbent for a Speech Language Pathologist to provide speech language therapy and supports to Aboriginal children and their families. The position is a partnership between the Comox Valley Child Development Association and Upper Island Women of Native Ancestry. The position will work as part of the Early Intervention Therapy team at the Child Development Association and will be located in offices at the Upper Island Women of Native Ancestry site.
Summary of Job Description:
- Provide SLP assessments through observation, formal and informal testing. Develop goals for the Individualized Service Plan (ISP) in cooperation with families.
- Provide therapy services on a one-to-one basis, or in small groups, designed to implement the goals identified in the ISP.
- Develop plans and strategies for parents to use at home to reinforce therapy services offered at the centre.
- Provide SLP reports and anecdotal notes in child’s integrated file.
- Supervise Speech and Language Therapy Assistant
- Attend ISP meetings with families, and attend Team Meetings (as requested) to review the status of children receiving services. Attend Transition Meetings to provide information to School District #71 as children leave the Child Development Association to attend Kindergarten.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
Masters Degree in Speech-Language Pathology from a recognized university is required. Must be a member of the College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC, and preference is given for members of Speech-Language Audiology Canada. Must have previous pediatric experience working with children from birth to school age.
- Cultural sensitivity and experience working with Aboriginal children and families.
- Report-writing competence, and verbal communication skills that are empathetic and articulate.
- Ability to work both individually and within a team concept.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Vehicle that meets ICBC annual inspection standards, and valid Driver’s License.