School District 47 (Powell River)
Speech Language Pathologist
The Board of Education of School District 47 (Powell River) invites applications for a full time (1.0 FTE) Speech Language Pathologist position.
School District No. 47 serves the educational needs of approximately 3000 students through elementary and secondary schools, other educational programs and employs approximately 400 staff.
Located on the Sunshine Coast, combining the natural beauty, amazing outdoor recreation opportunities associated with the Powell River lifestyle, and an exciting and fulfilling work environment, it is ideal for those pursuing a healthy balance both professionally and personally.
As part of School District 47’s Student Support Services Team, and reporting to the Director of Student Support Services, the District requires a talented Speech Language Pathologist to provide a full range of Speech and language services to students throughout the District.
Speech and language services include a range of K-12 supports encompassing prevention, identification and assessment, direct instruction for students (individually, in classroom settings, or in small groups as appropriate). Add consultation, collaboration with educators and support staff regarding the student's needs in the classroom and other school environments, in-service training, and information sharing with families and other agencies.
Providing SLP services to students from K-12:
• Communicate and work collaboratively with other professionals including school-based teams and Student Support Services staff
• Utilizing both formal and informal measures to evaluate a student's abilities in regards to speech, language and communication development.
• Communicate assessment results to parents/guardians and educators, involving them in decision making around supports
• Providing support(s) which include classroom education and support, focused group intervention and individual therapies.
• Create goals for students and oversee implementation of intervention via Speech-Language Assistants and Educational Assistants.
• Assist in the creation and monitoring of IEP goals.
• Provide recommendations for and assist in set up and implementation of AAC systems
• Ensure appropriate documentation and reporting is maintained for student files
• Initiate referrals, when necessary, to other district staff, agencies and community professionals in collaboration with the school teams
• Providing educational training and in-services for school district staff, community partners and families
• Other related tasks as required
Qualifications and Experience
• Masters Degree in Speech/Language Pathology
• Eligibility for Speech-Language and Audiology Canada certification and College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC membership
• Successful experience working with school age children
• Willingness to work in a collaborative environment to collectively design interventions for Speech and Language development
• Experience and knowledge in alternative and augmentative communication systems such as Touch chat, Proloquo2Go, Etc.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
• Valid BC driver's license and use of personal vehicle
• Ability to participate in meetings within and beyond the regular school day to support learning
• Ability to plan and facilitate in-services or collaboration sessions with educators and Educational Assistants within and beyond the regular school day
Application closing date: open until a candidate is found
Starting date: As soon as possible
This is an exempt position offering a competitive salary and benefits, including compensation for professional fees. Interested qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume which must include three professional supervisory references familiar with your professional performance. Please also include any supporting documents.
This program and position are eligible for the BC Student Loan Forgiveness Program. Click here for more information.
Applications can be submitted to:
School District 47 (Powell River)
For further information regarding this position, please contact Ms. Tawnie Gaudreau at (604) 414-2607 or email@example.com
Original job posting can be viewed here: https://bit.ly/45SKNXs
We appreciate all interest in this position however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted by the District.